The student news site of Pine Tree High School

PT Cutlass

• August 23Remember - BE ALL IN AND GO PIRATES!!!!!

• November 19Students need to respect each other and instructors

• November 10Lets keep our campus clean by picking up trash and putting it in the cans!

Filed under Sports

Football opens district play Friday

Pine Tree finished the non district schedule a disappointing 0-4, but a new season, the one that counts, begins Friday in Sulphur Springs and Coach Kerry Lane feels his team is ready to turn the corner and be more productive – on the field and on the scoreboard.

“We played some very tough teams, teams who compete for state championships in lower classifications, and we pretty much held our own, so we know we can do it,” Lane said in advance of Friday’s district opener on the road.

Pine Tree played Jacksonville to the last snap, had Pittsburg down for over three quarters and worried the heck out of perennial state playoff contenders Kilgore and Henderson.

“The effort is there, and our kids are continuing to work hard to get better,” Lane said. “Now is the time for that work to come to fruition.”

Sulphur Springs will be a difficult opponent, and their home is a tough place to get a win, but Lane feels Pine Tree is ready to take the next step forward and start ringing up victories.

Pine Tree was a preseason pick to finish fourth and make the playoffs. Now Lane says the team is ready to focus and make sure those predictors are correct.

“We have a good game plan in place, and we feel like we have some good athletes on the field,” he said. “Now, we just have to produce on the field and execute for four quarters.”

Pine Tree has come out of non district fairly healthy, but it is important, according to the coaches, for everyone to be ready to play.

“We hope our students and fans will come to support us on Friday night,” he said. “We intend to play hard and try to come out with a win.”