The student news site of Pine Tree High School

PT Cutlass

• August 23Remember - BE ALL IN AND GO PIRATES!!!!!

• November 19Students need to respect each other and instructors

• November 10Lets keep our campus clean by picking up trash and putting it in the cans!

Filed under Sports

Season opens Friday at Jacksonville

Finally, there is a touch of football in the air, and Pine Tree will open the season Friday in Jacksonville with a 7:30 p.m. game against the Indians in the Tomato Bowl.

Led by Coach Kerry Lane, the 2017-2018 version of the Pine Tree Pirates is poised not only to have a winning season but also make a playoff run. All of the preseason magazines, including the Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine, have the Pirates picked as a winning team and a playoff team.

Coach Lane does not want to prove them wrong, so he and the coaches and team have been working doubly hard to get ready for the campaign ahead.

A scrimmage against Longview was successful, according to the head coach, and the team came out of that skirmish with no injuries and a lot of hope for the season ahead. Lane said Longview was one of the strongest opponents Pine Tree would face all year, and the Pirates went toe to toe with their crosstown rival and put up a good fight.

Lane will rely on a skilled offense this year, led by quarterbacks Keeshon Williams and Wade Seidel. Add a skilled set of running backs and receivers and an offensive line that is ready to protect the signal callers and the Pirates look like they will have a lot of firepower this year. Offensive coordinator Jason Bachman said the team will be ready to go week one and not quit until the last playoff whistle has sounded.

On the defensive side of the ball,  coordinator Donnie Denman has the Pirates ready to face the versatile offenses they will see this year and ready to be a stopper unit that the Pine Tree fans and coaches can be  proud of. He said there are a lot of players who have really stepped up during summer and preseason drills, so he is expecting a lot out of the defense from the first snap of the opening game.

After Jacksonville, Pine Tree will be home to face Pittsburg with revenge on their minds. The Pirates were manhandled by the other Pirates in Pittsburg this past year, so they will be looking to return the favor when that East Texas school visits Pirate Stadium.

Then it is a trip to Kilgore and then a home game against Henderson before district starts.

The Pine Tree is “All In” this year to have a great year, and the fun begins Friday night in Jacksonville.