The student news site of Pine Tree High School

PT Cutlass

• August 23Remember - BE ALL IN AND GO PIRATES!!!!!

• November 19Students need to respect each other and instructors

• November 10Lets keep our campus clean by picking up trash and putting it in the cans!

Filed under Showcase

Summer is over and students, teachers returning to school

It may seem like Pine Tree just had graduation, but that was over two months ago and now students and teachers are returning to campus for the start of the 2017-2018 school year.

Principal Cindy Gabehart said she is excited to be back at school and excited for what the upcoming year will mean for Pine Tree students and faculty. She added there are a lot of positives at PT, and she is sure this year will be one of the best ever.

All In is the theme for this year, and Pirates have proven that already with a committed effort to excellence on many fronts. Students and faculty are positive this could be one of the best years at Pine Tree in a while, with many outstanding students and teachers looking for accomplishments during the academic year.

Band, drill team, cheerleaders and athletic teams such as volleyball, cross country and football have begun workouts and, talking about volleyball, already had tournaments. Teachers returned Tuesday, August 15 and will be in training for two weeks to get ready for the official start of school, which is Monday, August. 28.

A Meet The Pirates pep rally  is scheduled for 5 p.m. Saturday, August 19 in the Pirate Center. All athletic teams, BUCS, cheer, drill team and other organizations, especially the award winning Pine Tree Pride Band and marching units, will be introduced and take part in the event. There is no charge for the event, and it will be a great way to begin the school year.

Convocation for administration, faculty and staff is set for Wednesday, August 23 at 9 a.m. in the Pine Tree Road Auditorium, and Freshman Orientation as well as Meet the Teacher will occur on Thursday, August 24. Freshman Orientation and a time for them to meet teachers is in the morning, while official Meet The Teacher is set for 1 to 4 p.m. on that day.

Senior pictures, by appointment, are occurring in the theatre lobby on Thursday, August 24 between 8 and 2 p.m. Seniors need to call Croft Photography at 903-399-9092 to set up an appointment and bring $10 with them to the shoot for proofs. Students will take yearbook photos and cap and gown pictures at this time.

Senior pictures will also be taken the first week of school on Wednesday, August 30 and Thursday, August 31 between 8 and 2 p.m. in the theatre lobby. Students will take yearbook photos and cap and gown photos at this time. Students need to bring $10 with them for proofs. No appointment is necessary on these two days. Students can just come during the school day.

Seniors who miss all three of these days will have one makeup day, Thursday, October 12, to get their yearbook and cap and gown pictures taken. That will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the theatre lobby.

The football team has a scrimmage on Friday, August 25 at PT Stadium against Longview, and then opens the season the next week with a trip to Jacksonville to the Tomato Bowl to play the Indians. That game will start at 7:30 p.m.

Students can come pick up schedules on Thursday, August 24 and meet their teachers. Counselors will be busy the first couple of weeks of school getting schedules and classes straight, so take care to make an appointment to talk to them if needed.

Yearbook sales open the first day of school. With a theme of Our True Colors, the 2017-2018 Pine Tree Buccaneer Yearbook promises to be filled with pictures of students, staff and administration. Also, new this year, each varsity sports picture and each group and organization picture will be interactive. People will be able to get a free app, hold their phone over it and the picture will come to life and talk back to you. Yearbook adviser Greg Collins is excited about this addition and said it is one more reason for students to come early and get a book.

Only 200 yearbooks will be printed this year, and seniors last year under the same conditions nearly missed out on getting a book because they waited until the last days of the year to get one. Sales will be online as well as by cash or check  in Room 612.

Pine Tree is welcoming several new teachers this year, but the staff is ready to help students get the most out of their high school days and be prepared for college, tech school, the workforce or the military.

Labor Day holiday is one week into the school year, while Columbus Day in October will give students the day  off but faculty have training to do. Thanksgiving break is one week in November, and Christmas break  is two weeks in December. MLK Day is a break in January, while President’s Day is a holiday in February. Spring Break comes in March as does Good Friday, and school ends in late May this year.

So, Pirates, get ALL IN and be ready for a great school year ahead.